4 Life – Reducing the prevalence of obesity (BMI) in adults & children:
4 Life provides evidence based health improvement interventions across Bradford East to adults/children. Our strong relationships across our diverse communities and our delivery model of working in community settings, schools and people’s homes makes it easy to access and responsive to the needs and issues many people face.
4 Life delivers a wide range of activities:
- Free physical exercise classes – Aerobics/ EXTEND/ walking groups
- Cook and Eats – for adults and children
- Healthy Family – one of our workers work with families in their home to improve the health of every member
- Healthy Weight Programmes
4 Life also provides information about, referrals and signposting into
- Wider health improvement initiatives e.g. smoking cessation, Tier 2 Weight Management (for people with a BMI above 25)
- Other services e.g. housing support/ welfare benefits/ employment/ education
4 Life puts people first, we:
- Understand behaviour in its context and help people make appropriate behaviour changes
- Work with people co-designing provision so everyone can be involved and what is done has the greatest impact
- Help people plan their pathway to improved health by accessing all elements of 4 Life to sustain change
- Monitor what we do so we can understand what works and what doesn’t
- Provide our commissioner with evidence of the measurable health improvements people make
All our work is sensitive to the specific cultural, health or financial, background of our participants. Our model of co-designing effective interventions and our focus on simple behaviour changes makes becoming healthy a simple choice 4 Life.
The Thornbury Centre has partnered with ABL an organisation that delivers community healthcare programmes across the north of England and beyond. We share a passion to tackle health inequalities through innovative community healthcare.
ABL were successful in securing three years funding to deliver Bradford’s Tier 2 Weight Management Programmes that provide free nutrition and exercise classes for anyone over 18 with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25+. They also provide FAB – (food, activity, balance) sessions for children who fall between 91st -98th centile for their weight/height ratio.
We have created a special programme that works with families in their homes and is targeting particular communities – CEE/ Roma/ BME – who often find accessing provision difficult.
People not only access the comprehensive weight management 12 week programmes they are supported by our trained nutritionists for a year. This is to help people sustain behaviour changes so that a healthier lifestyle is maintained.